Saturday, August 2, 2008

Just a Mother


Sometimes I feel like I am just a mom. I stumbled across a talk by President Hinckley. This is my favorite part of the talk: E. T. Sullivan once wrote these interesting words: “When God wants a great work done in the world or a great wrong righted, he goes about it in a very unusual way. He doesn’t stir up his earthquakes or send forth his thunderbolts. Instead, he has a helpless baby born, perhaps in a simple home and of some obscure mother. And then God puts the idea into the mother’s heart, and she puts it into the baby’s mind. And then God waits. The greatest forces in the world are not the earthquakes and the thunderbolts. The greatest forces in the world are babies.”1
And those babies, I should like to add, will become forces for good or ill, depending in large measure on how they are reared. The Lord, without equivocation, has declared, “I have commanded you to bring up your children in light and truth” (D&C 93:40).

I guess it is what I needed to hear! However...I am pretty sure that the baby that is inside of me is an earthquake and a thunderbolt.

4 comments:

Wilkinson Family said...

I LOVE IT!!!

Molly said...

I have never heard that talk before... it was great. It makes me wonder what these kids will be doing when they get older...if we keep putting good thoughts in their heads that is.

James and Audra said...

Oh my goodness, I had no idea you guys had a blog. I love it. Are you guys coming down for the family reunion? Love Audra

Tim and Angie said...

This is a great reminder Abbey, thanks. I often think of myself as just a mother too, but there isn't anything else I'd rather be doing right now.